May 08, 2010

Tears for Nashille

Regular readers of my blog will remember a two part story I posted last September following a wonderful visit to Nashville, Tennessee. I loved every minute in The Music City and explored the sights from The Hermitage Plantation to the Grand Ole Opry. It was an amazing visit - I had not expected such a wealth of interesting things to do and see and the hospitality of the Tennesseans was phenomenal. I couldn't wait to go back.

Now the City of Nashville is recovering from a once-in-a-lifetime flood as the Cumberland River overflowed its banks by some 30 feet. As well as immeasurable damage to private property, many of the city's landmarks have been seriously damaged and forced to close. Not to mention that 33 people lost their lives in Tennessee, Kentucky and Mississippi.

I don't know if it is because I feel a personal affinity to the city and its residents, but it seemed this story has been somewhat downplayed in the media. I have been in touch with some of my new friends at The Frist Center for the Visual Arts and was relieved to hear that they were, for the most part, fine and the building had survived intact. But a disaster like this affects everyone, regardless of class or color, and all the denizens must pull together to get their city back on its feet.

This blog is simply my little way of saying "Hang tough Nashville - we're with you" Mother Nature dealt you a powerful blow, but you will persevere. It won't be long till that magic circle on the Opry stage is back in the spotlight and I fully intend to pay it a return visit!

No comments: